Distributed Information Systems, WS 2011
An undergraduate course for masters students in computer science and communication systems. introducing into fundamental concepts of modern distributed information management. The course covers mobile data management, semi-structured data management, P2P information systems, information retrieval and data mining.
Teaching at EPFL
- Distributed Information Systems , WS 2001/2002 - today, An undergraduate course for masters students in computer science and communication systems. introducing into fundamental concepts of modern distributed information management. The course covers mobile data management, semi-structured data management, P2P information systems, information retrieval and data mining.
- Information Systems in Biology, WS 2004/5
In this seminar basics of bioinformatics are introduced following the book Lengauer, Thomas (ed.) Bioinformatics - From Genomes to Drugs Methods and Principles in Medicinal Chemistry, Vol 14 Wiley-CH, 2002. The course is co-organized with Patricia Palagia and Ron Appel from SIB, Geneva.
- Introduction to Information Systems, SS 2004 - 2005
A relational database course for communication systems students in the 6. semester. The course is enhanced with respect to Web data management and database heterogeneity. An important aspect will be practical work integrating Web data sources into a relational database.
- Conception of Information Systems, SS 2001 - SS 2004
An undergraduate course for 8. semester communication systems students introducing recent middleware technologies, such as federated databases, XML, Web data access, transaction monitors, components, Web services and workflow systems. The course includes practical work applying the J2EE platform.
- Distributed Information Processing, WS 2002/2003 - 2003/2004
A doctoral school course in global computing jointly given with Boi Faltings. The goal is to introduce both distributed information management techniques, such as semistructured data, mobile data mangement and P2P data management, and AI techniques, such as planning, auctioning and constraint satisfaction. The students present research papers related to the course topics.
- Relational Databases, WS 2001/2002
A standard relational database course for 5. semester computer science and communication system students. A practical project developing a relational database application is an important component.
- Fundamentals of Distributed Systems, WS 2000/2001 - 2001/2002
A 3 week unit of a doctoral school course covering data modelling, middleware and ecommerce.
- Grundlagen des Datenmanagement im WWW, Johann-Wolfgang-Goethe Universität Frankfurt, 1999/2000
- Grundlagen des Datenmanagement im WWW II, Johann-Wolfgang-Goethe Universität Frankfurt, 2000
- Multimedia Datenbanken, Technische Universität Darmstadt, 1993-1999
- Infrastrukturen für Electronic Commerce, Technische Universität Darmstadt, 2000